October 17, 2007

1 Week To Go!

Well, its now 7 Days and counting.... and things are finalizing. I'd truly love the opportunity to stay longer than 15 days but with the current situation within Zimbabwe being what it is, its unlikely that I can/should. Although there is no current violence within Zimbabwe, the circumstance of its ongoing agonizing demise is cause for caution. Currently 1 in 5 adults have a job, the capital city of Harare & other major cities have limited to no power, the inflation rate is around 7,000 % and things like gas & food are a rare and pricey commodities.

Throughout all of my preparations I've been trying not to get in the way of what God wants from me. I have to continually remind myself that this is not MY trip, but HIS. In order to better prepare myself for this I've decided to take a page from Jackson Crum, lead pastor at Park Community Church in Chicago, by praying & fasting. I recently took a trip to Chicago, specifically to show my support for a dear friend who is getting married while I'm out of the country, and while there I attended my old church, Park Community Church, and heard a sermon about Praying by Jackson Crum. Now I know I run the risk of self spiritual promotion in making this public, but I do so in order to let you all know how I'm doing and where I'm at mentally, physically, & spiritually. I have been fasting, sun up to sun down, now for a week and will continue to do so until I leave. So basically I have one meal a day, dinner... don't worry mom, still drinking lots of water & I'm not fading away. Although we will have enough food for 3 square meals a day when we are in Zimbabwe I still worry on how much of an appetite I'll have. The current food shortages within Zimbabwe are troubling, and I'm not sure if I could go back to our lodging and eat our food, which is brought in from Mozambique, knowing that everyone else around me is starving. This is something that continually weighs heavily upon my mind and heart.

Because of these recent events escalating we (the team) will be altering our travels within Zimbabwe. Rather than going to see many of these people that the organization helps and supports, they will be coming to us. Military presence has been stepped up in order to preserve the peace. Things like road blocks and check points create great risk for us as outsiders, so the less moving around we do the better. That being said I will not have an opportunity to see Victoria Falls or Hwange, National Park Reserve. It will however allow me to spend more time with the people at Mtshabezi Mission and TCZ (Theological College of Zimbabwe). I'm looking forward to leaving but know that there is still lots to do before I go.

Thank you for your support and continued prayers,
<")))>< adam

No comments: